Just read the following points of Distribution of Ocean and Continents carefully. These distribution of ocean and continents related points are taken from different short and multiple choice questions. Let’s check.
- Alfred Wegener, a German meteorologist – who put forth a comprehensive argument in the form of “the continental drift theory” in 1912.
- According to Wegener, all the continents formed a single continental mass, a mega ocean surrounded by the same. The super continent and ocean means PANGAEA and PANTHALASSA respectively.
- According to Wegener the super continent began to split up in about 200 million years ago.
- Pangaea first broke into two large continental masses – Laurasia and Gondwanaland.
- Jig saw fit idea presented by Bullard in 1964.
- The coast line of South Africa and the South America are of the same age of the Jurassic period.
- Placer deposit in Ghana coast and the Brazil plateau has similarities.
- Convectional current theory – Arthur Holmes in 1930.
Sea floor spreading theory – Harry Hess in 1961.
- In 1967, McKenzie, Parker and Morgan collected the available ideas and came out with another concept “Plate Tectonic”.
- Cocos plate lies between Central America and the Pacific plate.
- Nazca plate lies between South America and the Pacific plate.
- Philippines plate lies between the Asiatic and the Pacific plate.
- Fuji plate lies in the Noth East of Australia.
- The best example of divergent boundaries is the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
- The location where sinking of a plate occurs is called a subduction zone.
- Slow plate movement – Arctic Ridge (less than 2.5cm/year).
Fastest plate movement – West of Chile (more than 15cm/year).
- About 140 million years before the present, the subcontinent was located as south as 50 degree latitude.
- About 40 million years ago Himalayas formation started.
For your another inquiry Search in Google