Indian Human Settlement are two types – Urban and Rural. Settlements vary in size and type. It may be compact or dispersed. Indian human settlements are compact in the urban area and in the case of hilly area are dispersed.
- What is the basic unit of settlement?
Answer: a house.
- Name any two ancient cities of India.
Answer: Hastinapur and Kanoj.
- In which class of cities is largest population found in India?
Answer: Class 1 cities.
- How many mega cities are there in India?
- What is the population size of mega cities?
Answer: more than 50 lacs.
- What is the percentage of Urban population in India according to 2011 Census?
- The Indian cities or the towns on the basis of their functions.
Answer: Administrative towns like Chandigarh, New Delhi. / Industrial towns like Mumbai, Jamshedpur. / Transport towns like Visakhapatnam and Mugalsarai. / Commercial Travels like Kolkata, Saharanpur. / Mining towns like Raniganj, Jharia. / Garrison cantonment towns like Ambala, Jalandhar. / Educational towns like Roorki, Allahabad. / Religious and cultural towns like Varanasi, Mathura. / Tourist towns like Nainital, Shimla.
- Clustered settlement found in —.
Answer: Gangetic Plains of Uttar Pradesh.
- Semi clustered settlements are found in —-.
Answer; Gujarat and Rajasthan plains.
- Hamleted settlement are mainly found in —-.
Answer: Chhattisgarh and lower valleys of Himalayas.
- Dispersed settlements are mainly found in—–.
Answer: Meghalaya, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh.
Towns class and population size:
Class 1 towns -More than 100000 population
Two class towns-50000 to 99999.
Class 3 towns – 20000 – 49999.
Four class towns – 10,000 – 19999.
Class five towns – 5000 to 9999. and
Class six towns – less than 5000.
- Name three examples of ancient towns.
Answer: Varanasi, Prayag, Madurai.
- Name three examples of medieval towns.
Answer: Hyderabad, Jaipur, Lucknow.
- Name three examples of modern towns.
Answer: Surat, Pondicherry, Chandigarh.
- What are the different names of hamleted settlements in different part of India?
Answer: Hamleted settlement are locally called as Panna, para, pally, Nagla Dhani.
- Give some examples of satellite towns.
Answer: Some towns developed as satellite towns around metropolitan cities such as Ghaziabad, Rohtak, Gurgaon around Delhi.
- What was the level of urbanization in India in 2001?
- Give some examples of mega cities.
Answer: Greater Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad.
Search in Google