Nationalism in India
Q 1. Why was Non-cooperation Movement launched by Gandhiji? Explain any three reasons.
- a) Demand of swaraj.
- b) In Favour of khilafat
- c) Rowlatt Act and Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
Q2. How was the Civil Disobedience Movement different from Non –cooperation movement? ***
- i) In Non cooperation movement refuse to cooperate with colonial government ,while in civil Disobedience movement people violated the colonial law.
- ii) Muslims and Hindus jointly supported the Non cooperation movement but Muslims were lukewarm on their support to the Civil Disobedience movement .
- iii)This movement was launched in 1920 in a peaceful way. Civil Disobedience movement launched in 1930 in a violent way.
Q 3. Which three early satyagraha movements were organized by Mahatma Gandhi? **
- a) Champaran in Bihar(1916)
- b) Kheda Gujarat(1917)
- c) Ahmedabad (1918).
Q 4. How was the collective belonging developed during the freedom movement? **
- i) Through the experience of united struggle .
- ii) Through the cultural process.
- iii) Through the re-interpretation of history.
Q 5. How did the salt Satyagraha become an effective tool of resistance against British colonialism in India during 1930? Explain. ***(Nationalism in India)
- i) Salt is used by all the people belonging to all communities,
- ii) Government had monopoly to manufacture it.
- iii) Government imposed heavy tax on it.
Q6 Why did different social groups join the Civil Disobedience Movement? Explain. .***
- i) Peasants- to reduce land revenue.
- ii) Industrialist- increase import duty on foreign goods.
- iii) Industrial labour- to increase wages and improvement in working condition.
Q 7. Examine the background of Poona pact of 1932 in the light of differences between Gandhi and Dr. B. R. Ambedkar? **
- i) Colonial govt. declared for separate electorate for Dalit.
- ii) Gandhiji was against that decision.
- iii) Gandhiji went on hunger strike.
- iv) Then compromise between Gandhiji and Dr. Ambedkar and both agreed for reserved seats for the Depressed class but to be voted from General electorate.
Q 8. What do you know about the peasants movement in Awadh? **(Nationalism in India)
- i) It was organized by baba Ramchandra .
- ii) He was a sanyasi worked as indentured labour in Fiji.
- iii) Abolition of forced labour, illegal eviction, reduce land revenue.
- iv) Talukdars were socially boycotted,nai, dhobi band andolan was organize.
- v) Awadh kisan sabha was formed by Jawaharlal Nehru.
Q 9. Explain the measures taken by Gandhiji to eliminate the problem of untouchability.
- i) Harijan Yatra was organized.
- ii) To glorify the work of Harijan Gandhi ji himself cleaning the toilet.
- iii) Gandhiji asked the upper caste to gave up untouchability .
- iv) And soft corner towards Dalits.
Q 10. Why did the Muslims feel alienated from congress during the Civil Disobedience Movement?
- i) Muslim began to organize under the Muslim league leaded by Md.Ali Jinnah.
- ii) Hindu Mahasabha also became active and began to demand for Hindu.
- iii) Both Hindu and Muslim leader consider that congress was a party of Hindu.
- iv) Congress was unable to setup a balance between different caste and community
- v) 14 demand of Md. Jinnah was refused by congress. Read more….