The population composition is an vital issue for the development of a nation. The number of women and men in a country is an important demographic characteristics. The ratio between the number of women and men in the population is called the sex ration. This age sex ratio is an important aspect of population composition.
- Which country has the highest sex ratio in the world
Answer: Latvia (1187 females/ 1000 males)
- Which country has the lowest sex ratio in the world
Answer: UAE (468 females/ 1000 males).
- What is the average sex ratio in the world?
Answer: 990 females per 1000 males.
- How many countries have the unfavorable sex ratio in the world?
Answer: 72 countries.
- Which country has the declining popular?
- Which country has constant population pyramid?
- What is occupational age group of the population?
Answer: 15 to 59 years.
Which is the largest linguistic group in the world?
Answer: Mandarin or Chinese.
- Which areas are not attractive for human dwelling in the world?
Answer: Mountain, forest and arid (including Harsh climate areas).
- The age sex pyramid of Nigeria is expanding type of population pyramid.
- Bangladesh and Mexico also experienced expanding type of population pyramid.
- Australia’s age sex pyramid is bell shaped due to almost equal birth and death rate.
- The rural and urban differences in sex ratio in Canada and West European countries like Finland are just the opposite of those in African and Asian countries like Zimbabwe and Nepal respectively.
- Ageing population: Population ageing is the process by which the share of the older population becomes proportionally larger. This is a new phenomenon of the twentieth century. In most of the developed countries of the world, population in higher age groups has increased due to increased life expectancy. With a reduction in birth rates, the proportion of children in the population has declined.
1. What do we called the ratio between the number of women and man in the population? (Population Composition)
a. Population density,
b. Sex ratio,
c. Occupational structure,
d. Population distribution
2. Through which of the following we can get an important information about the status of
women in a country?
a. Sex ratio
b. Family status
c. Gender discrimination
d. All the above
3. An area having more numbers of women mainly indicates –
a. Favorable sex ratio
b. Male migration for employment
c. Better status of women
d. Equality among male and females
4. Regions having rampant gender discrimination found unfavorable sex ratio, because of
a. Practice of female feticide
b. Female infanticide and domestic violence
c. Lower socio-economic status of women
d. All the above
5. Which of the following countries found lowest sex ratio?
6. Which of the following continent generally recorded low sex ratio?
b. North America
7. Consider the following statements and choose correct options from the given options;
I. Males population found in minority in the greater part of Europe.
II. A deficit of males in the populations in European countries is attributed to better status of women and an excessively male dominated out migration to different parts of the world in the past.
a. Only I is correct
b. Only II is correct
c. Both I and II are correct
d. Both I and II are incorrect
8. A greater proportion of population above 60 years of age in a country indicates
a. Large working population
b. Requirement of more expenditure on health care facilities.
c. Very low death rate
d. All the above
9. If a country is having large proportion of young population, it would means
a. High birth rate and the population is youthful.
b. Large working population
c. Expenditure on health care facilities
d. Heavy pressure on government to arrange basic facilities
10. Which of the following is an important indicator of population composition-
a. Sex ratio
b. Age structure
c. Rural-urban composition
11. Which of the following features is shown by population pyramid?
a. No. of male and female population
b. Age-sex structure of the population
c. Occupational structure of population
d. Working population in country’s population
12. If a Population Pyramid of a country has triangular shaped with wide base, it indicates
a. Larger population in lower age groups
b. Almost equal birth and death rate
c. Low birth and death rates
d. Low birth and high death rate
13. What kind of shape we observe for Australia’s age-sex pyramid
a. Triangular shaped with a wide based
b. Bell shaped and tapered towards the top
c. Narrow base and a tapered shape
d. Rounded shape with narrow top
14. Consider the following statements, try to establish cause and effect relationship between these
two and choose the correct option for the same.
I. The Japan pyramid has a narrow base and a tapered top showing low birth and death rates.
II. The population growth in developed countries is usually zero or negative.
a. Only statement I is true.
b. Only statement II is true
c. Both I and II statements are correct and the statement II correctly explains the statement I.
d. Both I and II statements are irrelevant.
15. What kind of shape for Nigerian population pyramid we observe?
b. Bell shaped
c. Narrow base and tapered shape
d. Wide shape with wide top
16. ‘Almost equal birth and death rates’ is characteristic feature of which of the following
country’s population? (Population Composition)
c. Sri Lanka
17. The division of population into rural and urban is based on the—
a. Occupational structure
c. Density of population
18. Which of the following is the characteristic feature of rural and urban differences in sex ratio in Canada and West European countries? (Population Composition)
a. Females outnumber males in rural areas
b. Males outnumber females in rural areas
c. Males outnumber females in urban areas
d. None of the above
19. Which of the following reasons are responsible for the excess of females in urban areas of U.S.A., Canada and Europe?
a. Highly mechanized agriculture largely a male occupation
b. Influx of females from rural areas to avail of the vast job opportunities
c. No gender discrimination
d. All the above
20. Which of the following reason is responsible for the male dominated sex ratio in Asian urban areas?
a. Predominance of male migration
b. Female participation in farming activities is fairly high in countries like India
c. Shortage of housing and high cost of living that discourage female migration
d. All the above
21. Which of the following is not concerned with Primary activities? (Population Composition)
22. Which of the following economic activity is not related with tertiary activity?
b. research and developing ideas
23. Consider the following statements, try to establish cause and effect relationship between these two and choose the correct option for the same.
1. The proportion of working population engaged in secondary, tertiary and quaternary services is a good indicator of the levels of economic development of a nation.
2. Only a developed economy with industries and infrastructure can accommodate more workers in the secondary, tertiary and quaternary sector
a. Only 2 is correct
b. Both 1 and 2 are correct and statement 2 correctly explains the statement 1.
c. Both statements are true but statement 2 does not explain correctly the statement 1.
d. Both are incorrect
24. If the high proportion of population of any country is engaged in agriculture, it would means
a. The economy is still in primitive stage
b. That country is self sustained in agriculture in terms of economy
c. Most of the people of that country are illiterates
d. lack of resources
25. Which of the following activity is related to quaternary services?
a. Transport and communication
b. Fishing and mining
c. Research and developing ideas
26. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
a .Manufacturing Secondary activity
b. Transport and communication Tertiary activity
c. Commercial Transport Quaternary activity
d. Mining Primary activity
Search another Class 12 post in Google