When People Rebel 1857 and After
Question: Who were the people affected by the policies of the East India Company? (When People Rebel 1857 and After)
Answer: There were so many people affected by the policies of the East India Company. Like peasants, kings, queens, tribals, landlords, or soldiers etc. They affected by the policies of the company.
Question: Who lost their power since the mid-18th century and how? (When People Rebel 1857 and After)
Answer: Since the mid 18th century rajas and Nawabs had seen their power erode. Gradually they lost their power and authority. This rajas and Nawabs freedom gradually reduced and their residents stationed in many courts. After that these rajas and Nawabs territories and revenues taken away and their armed force disbanded.
In some cases, many rulers negotiate with the company to protect their interests. For example Rani Lakshmibai wanted the company to identify or recognize her adopted son as the heir of the kingdom Jhansi after her husband’s death.
Question: How the East India Company tried to bring the end of the Mughal Dynasty?
- The East India Company always tried to an end of the Mughal dynasty. Therefore, company removed the name of Mughal king from the coin minted by them.
- The governor general of company announced that Bahadur Shah Zafar would be the last king of the Mughal dynasty.
- After the death of Bahadur Shah Zafar no one of his descendants would be the king. They would be known as princes only.
- After the death of the king Zafar, his family will leave the Red Fort and they will reside in Delhi.
In this way the east India Company tried to an end of the Mughal dynasty.
Question: What was the reaction of the peasants and sepoys since the mid-18th century?
- Due to the rigid method of tax or revenue collection peasants and zamindars resented.
- Peasants or zamindars also resented when they lost their land.
- Peasants also became unhappy about company’s allowances or conditions of services.
- Resented sepoys gradually start to refuse ordered by the East India Company. Because, company violated their religious or beliefs.
- Sepoys also reacted when they saw that their families residing in the countryside being tortured by the East India Company.
- In this way peasants and sepoys started to form different organization or this mutiny becomes a rebellion.
Question: Explain how a popular rebellion came from a mutiny? (When People Rebel 1857 and After)
Answer: A mutiny of peasants or sepoys gradually became a popular rebellion through different struggles.
- A large number of people start to belief that their common enemy is the East India Company.
- Gradually all the people start to organize and discuss about their same problems.
- In 1857 a situation developed in northern India or other parts.
- Mutinies in different section of the section gradually rose up in rebellion to resist the company.
- Mangal Pandey, a young soldier hanged for attacking his officer. But more sepoys gradually started to refuse to use a cartridge which was suspicious.
- Gradually mutinies in different part of India reshaped as a great rebellion to oppose against the East India Company.